One of my favourite jokes is to walk into the office and complain about helmet hair. I keep saying that I’ll write a confessional book how bicycle helmets ruined my hairdo and life.
I found some stats that show helmet hair is an issue for some bicycle commuters:
Body image issues and appearance accounted for a huge percentage of women who are reluctant to cycle to work. 28% said they didnâ€™t want to arrive at the office sweaty, 19% said they were too self-conscious while 25% in total cited unmanageable hair and helmet hair as the main barrier.
I enjoy my bicycle commute too much to worry about my hair.
The reasons to wear a bicycle helmet outweigh the disadvantages by far:
- It offers some protection of your brain in case of a bicycle accident.
- If you ever have a bicycle accident, you can answer the most common question with “Yes, I was wearing a bicycle helmet”.
- Today’s helmets are lightweight and look sporty.
- You can have endless conversations on helmet models, which model is the best, and how to wear the helmet correctly.
- You can make jokes about helmet hair.
I found a link on the history of bicycle helmets. And wearing a helmet is quite a recent development.
— Bicycling Magazine (@BicyclingMag) July 26, 2015